Beans, Kale, and Sweet Potato make for a hearty, satisfying soup. This Sweet Potato and Kale Soup is one of my new favorites and I hope it will be yours too!
As soon as the temperature really starts to drop, soup and chili is all I want to eat. They are warm, filling and generally quick and easy to make.
My meal prep routine in the warmer months is typically a lot of salad and grain bowls. So come winter time I make some slight adjustments. Instead of whisking up vinaigrettes and tossing together bowls of green and fresh veggies, I start cooking larges batches of soup to freeze and eat later.
Soups are the perfect option for freezer meal prep because soup stays good in the freezer for months. When you come home on a busy weeknight and you want a quick and nutritious meal all you have to do is defrost a serving in the microwave or in a pot on the stove… and just like that, you have a hearty, warm meal that is ready to eat in just a few minutes.
*TIP* Noodle soups don’t freeze well because they get soggy and overcooked if frozen and defrosted.
My Sweet Potato and Kale soup will freeze well and is perfect for adding to your meal plan. Make a few batches at once and enjoy quick, cozy leftovers all winter long.
Why I love this Soup:
- This Healthy soup recipe is vegetarian, vegan and gluten free.
- Perfect for meal prep and freezes well.
- Hearty and flavorful this soup is full of sweet potatoes, kale, and beans.
- 2 to 3 large sweet potatoes (roughly 3 cups cubed)
- 4 cups Kale, roughly chopped (about 3 ounces)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 11/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 quart (4 cups) SimplyNature Organic Vegetable Broth
- 3 green onions
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Dice sweet potato into cubes and set aside. Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Drain and rinse the beans.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté a few minutes, until translucent. Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne (optional), and sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in the sweet potatoes, then add the vegetable broth, beans, and salt and bring to a slight boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and simmer 15 minutes until the sweet potato is tender. While simmering, roughly chop the kale and thinly slice the green onion.
- When the sweet potatoes are tender, remove from the heat and stir in the kale, green onions, and lemon juice. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Taste, and if desired add additional salt, to taste. Serve garnished with fresh parmesan cheese and a small dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream (optional).
More Soup Recipes…
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @thewelldressedkitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #thewelldressedkitchen