These Southwest Chicken Bowls are made in the Crock Pot making it a quick and easy week night meal. Serve over rice, in tortilla shells, or simply eat on its own. I make this Southwest Chicken when I want a satisfying meal that doesn’t require any cooking on my part.
At the end of a long day, nothing is better than finding a warm meal waiting for you at home. When you make meals in the slow cooker, just pick a recipe, prep it before you head out for the day, and set your machine to low. Dinner will be ready whenever you return. This Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken is comforting, filling, and delicious.
What I love about this Recipe:
- Warm meal waiting for you at home – At the end of a long day, nothing is better than finding a warm meal waiting for you at home.
- Set it and Leave it – I love slow cooker meals for busy weeknights, add the ingredients in your crock pot, set on low, and forget about it while it cooks all day.
- Great for Meal Prep and Leftovers – This recipe makes a lot and it stores well in the refrigerator. To meal prep, place in microwave safe plastic or glass containers with rice or quinoa and store in refrigerator for up to a week. Just reheat and add toppings when ready to eat.
- Budget Friendly – Made with chicken, corn, black beans, and salsa this recipe is healthy, delicious, and makes a lot of food for not a lot of money.
Spiced with chili powder, flavored with salsa, and protein-rich with chicken and black beans, this Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken is a tasty meal you will eat over and over. You can top with bell pepper, tomato, avocado, and onion for a serving of veggies. Serve over a whole grain like brown rice or quinoa.
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 14.4 oz. can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa, any brand you prefer
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained
- 15 oz. can corn, drained
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- avocado, chopped (to top)
- scallions, chopped (for garnish)
- cilantro (for garnish)
- Prepared - Brown rice, quinoa, white rice
- Place a single, even layer of chicken breasts into the bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover chicken breasts with chicken broth and salsa. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, high for 2 to 4 hours, or when chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork.
- Shred chicken using two forks. Add black beans, corn, chili powder, and garlic powder to shredded chicken in crock pot. Mix until well combined and allow to heat for additional 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice, quinoa, or in tortilla shells.
- Top with you favorite toppings.
You may also like…