This Egg Casserole is the perfect make ahead breakfast. Loaded with meat, veggies, and eggs… it’s easy and delicious and also great for serving larger crowds.
I make it on Sunday as part of my meal prep and enjoy it all week long. I prefer easy casserole recipes, simple to make, easy to clean up after, and of course, delicious. This means I can spend less time in the kitchen prepping meals for the week and more time spending time with my family and friends. This recipe is full of flavor, savory, and kind to your waistline.
Any way I can pack in spinach and veggies into my meals I am all over it and this is one of those recipes. So when you’re needing a quick breakfast loaded with greens and you’re not in the mood for a Green Smoothie, indulge in this healthy breakfast casserole without any guilt. Even consider making this crowd-pleasing dish for a brunch gathering or on Sunday morning with the family!
I am always figuring out ways to swap ingredients to make recipes healthier. I mean, it’s what I do!! In so many of my recipes I swap out red meat for ground turkey. It’s still so flavorful, full of protein and cuts out so much of the fat. The bottom layer of this casserole is sweet potatoes which adds a little sweetness. Sweet Potatoes are high in many important nutrients… essential vitamins, calcium, and iron. Eggs add even more protein, you can even use half egg whites to cut calories and unsaturated fat. I love all the layers in this dish and I hope you love it too!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 12 large eggs
- 1 sweet potato, (cubed small)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup shredded cheese (I prefer parmesan)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9x9 baking dish with olive oil spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat, add diced onion and green pepper. Cook roughly 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently until softened. Remove onion and green pepper from skillet and set aside.
- Add ground turkey to same skillet and cook until no longer pink (roughly 8 minutes). Season with chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Continue to cook until meat is fully browned then add onion and pepper mixture to meat and stir to combine.
- While the turkey is cooking dice sweet potato into small cubes. Make sure your cubes aren't too thick or they won't be as tender. Line the bottom of greased baking dish with the diced sweet potato.
- In a medium-sized bowl beat eggs with whisk and season with salt and pepper.
- Top the sweet potato with the turkey mixture, layer with spinach, and then pour the eggs on top.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Place baking dish in oven and cook for 40 to 45 minutes or until edges of the egg begin to brown and egg in casserole is firm throughout.
- Allow casserole to cook for more time until egg is completely cooked through.
- Note: If you want to cook this casserole as part of your meal prep (or the night before serving) and freeze it for later, fully prepare the casserole and then place in freezer. To cook, let it defrost and then reheat oven at 300 degrees F and cook for roughly 20 to 25 minutes.
If YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW BY LEAVING A COMMENT BELOW AND SHARE A PICTURE ON INSTAGRAM WITH THE HASHTAG #THEWELLDRESSEDKITCHEN
You May Also Like: