I love stuffed peppers, it’s one of my go to meals. Stuffed Peppers are a great weeknight meal that can be stuffed with just about anything.
These ground chicken stuffed peppers are full of flavor and filled with chicken seasoned with cumin, tomato, black beans, and rice if you desire. I top with a little cheese and right before eating I add a generous scoop of sour cream and garnish with cilantro. This low-carb meal is certain to fill you up without skipping anything on taste leaving you completely satisfied.
For these stuffed peppers, cut peppers in half lengthwise for an easier way to stuff and eat.
Ground Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Author: The Well Dressed Kitchen
Stuffed Peppers are a great weeknight meal that can be stuffed with just about anything.
- 4 bell peppers (red, yellow, green, or orange)
- 1 lb ground chicken (organic, if possible)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can green chilies
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (or 1 (10 ounce) can of diced tomatoes)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- sour cream, to top (optional)
- avocado or guacamole, to top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Start by preparing the bell peppers. Cut peppers in half lengthwise (top to bottom), remove seeds and set aside in shallow baking dish or baking sheet covered with aluminum foil. Drizzle peppers with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, or cooking spray to save on calories.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent (3 to 4 minutes), add garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Transfer onion and garlic mixture into small bowl and set aside.
- Add ground chicken to skillet and cook until no longer pink (about 5 to 7 minutes).
- Sprinkle with cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Stir.
- Reduce heat to low and add chilies, tomatoes, and black beans and continue to stir until all ingredients are combined. Add juice of lime. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon chicken mixture to each pepper half filling to the top. Place baking dish or baking sheet, uncovered in oven for 30 minutes, until peppers are soft. Remove from over and top with cheese then return baking dish to oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a spoonful of sour cream and cilantro.
I usually have leftover filling which I seal in Tupperware and eat for lunch the following day.