If you’re looking for a fresh salad for your barbecue, this Couscous Salad is sure to be your go to side dish. It will be the dish everyone is delighted about.
The first time I made this salad was for my family during a summer cookout to celebrate graduating with my MBA. My parents flew in from Indiana the night before and I had them over for a cookout. I was making Chicken Caribbean Kabobs as my main and I wanted a filling side that was light but full of fresh flavor.
I prefer to make my own dressings if possible. It’s a good way to know what ingredients you’re adding without the added preservatives found in many salad dressings. This lime dressing has the bite from the lime, but off set with a bit of sweetness from the sugar.
- 1 cup couscous (uncooked)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cucumber, sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Fresh Cilantro, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 avocado
- For the Dressing:
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons Fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Fresh ground pepper
- Cook your couscous according to the package directions. I combine in a medium sauce pan 2 cups chicken broth, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, then add dry couscous; cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Broth should be completely absorbed, fluff with fork and transfer to medium sized bowl to cool.
- Prepare your ingredients by zesting and juicing your lime, slice tomatoes in half, chop cilantro, and thinly slice and chop cucumber, scallion, and red onion.
- Prepare the lime dressing by combining lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Wisk until smooth and set aside.
- Once couscous is cooled, add tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, red onion, and cucumber. Mix until well combined. Cut the avocado into squares and add to couscous mixture. Drizzle lime dressing over avocado to prevent from browning and over the rest of the couscous salad and mix until well combined.
- Add salt if needed.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. The couscous salad can be made the night before. The couscous will absorb the dressing and have an even better flavor.